Strategy and mission
is ensuring conditions for increasing the national well-being of the Republic of Kazakhstan and long-term sustainability for future generations, by creating an entire system of integrated waste management aimed at minimizing the impact of waste on the environment, as well as involving waste into the circulation as a secondary raw material and a source of energy, stimulating production and environmentally friendly products, operation of environmentally friendly transport, increasing environmental education and culture.
is an achievement of an effective mechanism of economic regulation that ensures integrated waste management, production and use of environmentally friendly products, operation of environmentally friendly transport, improving environmental education and culture.
Strategic direction: 1
Creation of sustainable waste management system
Strategic objective: 1.1. Organization of an accessible, comprehensive and effective system for waste management and the use of secondary resources
In this area, the Operator will continue to carry out activities provided for in Article 285-2 of the Environmental Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan:
1) compensation to individuals and legal entities for the costs for separate collection and processing of waste formed after the loss of consumer properties of products (goods), which are subject to the Extended Producer (importer) Responsibility, and its (their) packaging (with the exception of waste formed after the loss of consumer properties of products (goods) and its (their) packaging, obtained from production waste and (or) transferred to legal entities or individual entrepreneurs from legal entities or individual entrepreneurs, whose waste was formed as a result of production activities), subject to the transfer of the specified waste for deactivation and (or) disposal on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
2) the organization of collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, use and (or) disposal of waste formed after the loss of consumer properties of products (goods), which are subject to the Extended Producer (importer) Responsibility, and its (their) packaging;
3) organizational, technical and information support of the system for collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, use and (or) disposal of waste, financing of advertising activities, educational, marketing research in the field of waste and secondary resources management;
4) financing of experimental, experienced, design, research works in the field of collection, processing, deactivation, use and (or) disposal of waste;
5) the introduction of new technologies for the collection and use of waste as a secondary raw material, the construction of plants (production) for the sorting and (or) use of residential solid waste and secondary resources, improvement of the material and technical base of organizations that collect and (or) use secondary resources, collection, sorting and (or) use of residential solid waste, creation and development of a network of electric filling stations.
|No.||Target indicator||Unit of measure||2021|
|The share of collected, processed and disposed waste in the total amount of produced (imported) products (goods):|
|3.||waste electrical and electronic equipment (subject to the introduction of a disposal fee)||%||10|
|5.||Number of accepted and disposed out-of-service vehicles||pieces||45 000|
|6.||Share of produced products made of waste sent for processing and disposal by companies involved by the EPR Operator for the provision of services for processing and disposal||%||65|
|7.||Number of enterprises involved by the Operator to ensure collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, disposal of waste||pcs.||
|8.||Construction of a cluster for the disposal of out-of-service and agricultural machinery, auto components waste with the production of final products in Kostanay||Х|
|9.||Support and development of the network of electric charging stations||Х|
Strategic objective1.2. Creation of conditions for the transition of the Republic of Kazakhstan to a «green economy».
Today, more than 80% of existing landfills do not have permits, they are not adapted for separate placement and storage of waste, and do not comply with environmental, sanitary requirements and standards. In this connection, a serious reform of this industry is required.
Another strategic direction is to stimulate the introduction of facilities (enterprises) for energy disposal (incineration) of waste with the use of financial stimulation mechanisms for this disposal.
In accordance with the Concept for the transition of the Republic of Kazakhstan to a green economy, one of the priority tasks is the creation of an entire system of integrated waste management, which is aimed at developing infrastructure for the collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, disposal of product waste, and involving waste into circulation as a secondary raw material and the source of energy, as well as the introduction and expansion of the processing of solid domestic waste, taking into account the use of the best available technologies in order to minimize the impact of waste on the environment.
In 2019, within the framework of the Project Office under the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources presented a new approach to waste management in Kazakhstan – waste incineration with the generation of electricity (Waste to Energy). As a result of incineration (energy disposal), the proportion of non-incinerated residue (slag, ash) is 10-20%. Depending on the development of technologies, this residue is to be used in sectors of the economy (for example, in road construction) or to be buried at landfills. This approach to waste management, which is relevant and widely used by developed countries, was approved by the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
To this end, the Operator will carry out works on the international analysis of technologies for Waste to Energy, as well as measures to attract investors.
Strategic direction 2.
Formation of an effective system of interaction with the population in order to introduce separate collection and reuse of secondary resources, reduce the volume of waste formation
Strategic objective 2.1. Information support of activities for the organization of collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, use and (or) disposal of waste
Raising awareness of the population in waste management is the basis of environmental well-being. Waste collection and processing is one of the most important economic problems of any country. Informing the general public plays one of the main roles in waste management, as the population plays a key role in the development of the processing industry. An important role in the successful implementation of the separate collection of solid waste is played by the environmental awareness and culture of the society.
The Operator is carrying out comprehensive work aimed at increasing the awareness of citizens of different age groups on waste management issues, which will also be continued and strengthened as part of the work carried out in 2021.
In order to implement this Strategy in the development of organizational, technical and information support for the population, educational resources and educational and methodological complexes for target groups, the organization of educational seminars, trainings, the Operator sets itself the following tasks:
– to focus on the formation of value orientations associated with overcoming the consumer position in relation to nature, on the development of ecological culture;
– to increase attention to the problem of waste, which is urgent for the Republic of Kazakhstan;
– to raise awareness of citizens about waste, its negative impact, the current situation in the field of waste management, about the need for separate waste collection;
– to increase support among the population for the ideas of processing and disposal of waste, as well as the deactivation of hazardous components from the composition of waste;
– to develop a conscious attitude towards waste management by the population and organizations;
– to inform the population about the places of collection of waste and products (goods) after the loss of consumer properties, to which the EPR applies.